Tuesday, May 27, 2008

John Rutsey

I would be remiss not to remark first and foremost on the passing of John Rutsey.

Many of you probably have no idea who he was, most of you have heard his playing many times.

Rutsey was the drummer on Rush's debut album. While he didn't form the band with Geddy and Alex, his claim to fame is starting out their album era. Of course, this would open the door for the "Proffesor", Neil Peart to step in completely changing the sound and vision of the band. Not to mention influence aschmillion other bands while being simultaneously abohored by the critics and Rolling Stone magazine (hence no induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame)

The song "Working Man" displayed Rutsey's drumming prowess. I don't find a great deal of redeeming value in their first album, that's just me. Other Rush fans do find it a worthy addition to the discography. (for the record it aint in my collection)

I'm not sure if Rutsey will ever receive credit for his contributions to the band. In many people's minds Peart is THE GUY.

My condolences to his friends and family.

http://www.legacy.com/CAN-NationalPost/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=109734732

1 comment:

Gabriel Alberto De Biase said...

I wanted to invite you to visit my blogs and to writing me to, if you want.

http://vendolibros0km.blogspot.com

And

http://autosyarte.blogspot.com

Sorry for my bad English.